You may access your consumption data free of charge. You may ask the data administrator (for example, the provider or the network manager) who provides this information to other gas or electricity providers at no extra charge.
In the event of a new connection in a building (for example, after major renovations), you are entitled to an individual precise gas or electricity meter at a competitive price (similarly, in the case of central heating, refrigeration or hot water).
In all other cases, you are also entitled to an individual and precise meter at a competitive price, unless technical or financial obstacles have been established at national level.
If you have a smart meter, you should be able to access, easily and free of charge and within the framework of your supply contract, detailed information about your energy consumption for at least the last two months.
You are also entitled to access your consumption data for at least the last three years, or from the start of the supply contract if the contract is less than three years old.
The electricity and gas bills must be based on the energy that is really consumed and must be issued sufficiently often to allow you to control how much energy you consume.
The bills must be clear and provide useful information. They should allow you:
- To easily understand what you are paying for the energy you consume.
- To compare offers from different energy providers so that you can change provider is you wish.
You are entitled to adequate information about the energy you consume and on how to consume energy more efficiently.
The invoices, contracts, transactions and receipts must indicate clearly (unless the national authorities do not consider it necessary):
- The true prices and the energy consumed.
- A comparison with the amount of energy used for the same period in the previous year.
- Who to approach to find out how to save energy (for example, consumer organisations, energy agencies or similar organisations, including internet addresses) and, where possible, comparisons with similar customers.